Monday, January 26, 2009

Beefy Potato Casserole

This is a veggie version of Shepard's Pie. My step mom used to make a great Shepard's pie back in the day, and I never found a veggie equivalent until this recipe came along. It's easy and comforting to eat. My nieces helped me cook this meal last night - sorry, I forgot the pictures!

If you wanted to lighten this recipe up a little, use less cheese and fat free milk. I used less cheese last night and it was still delicious.

3 - 4 potatoes, peeled, cubed, cooked then mashed (use milk/butter like usual)
1/4 tsp salt
1 pkg soy morningstar soy crumbles
1 small onion, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
11 oz can corn, drained
10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 - 2 cups frozen peas

1. Saute onion in skillet, adding salt and pepper while stirring. Add ground soy crumbles. Cook until heated.
2. Add 1 cup cheese, corn, soup, milk and peas. Stir.
3. Pour "beef" mixture into a lightly greased 13X9 baking dish.
4. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
5. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Add remaining cheese, and bake another 10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This was delicious....and the company was great, too! I can't wait to try all the latest recipes....we are WAY FAT from all the food at Disney and we barely have an appetite....really looking forward to healthy food. Gotta get to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete