Sunday, January 15, 2012

Oatmeal Raspberry Bars

I used to stop by a local coffee shop several mornings a week when in college on my way to class. I would usually get a hot tea (briefly off coffee due to headaches) and sometimes the delicious treat of a raspberry bar. Oh how I loved those bars of oats, sugar and raspberries. I went years without them once graduating college and moving away.

It was a few weeks ago when my hubby and I were out grocery shopping and in need of a snack that I came across raspberry bars again. These bars were made fresh in the bakery and I could not resist. That sweet treat tasted just as I remembered. I was hooked again.

Determined to make my own I found a VERY simple recipe and gave it a shot last weekend. And you know what? Fabulous! I love these bars and they are super easy to make. The only change I plan to make for batch number two is to cut back on the salt by 1/4 teaspoon. I'll post the recipe as I found it and if you like salt make them as is. If you are watching your salt or just don't tend to use it much and therefore are sensitive to salty try cutting it back a bit.

This time I plan to try blueberry preserves!

Enjoy! I know I will!

Oatmeal Raspberry Bars
3/4 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt (or less)
1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 (10 oz) jar raspberry preserves

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat softened butter with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Add brown sugar and mix well.

In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt and oats. Stir well to combine. Add the butter mixture to flour mixture, stirring until well combined.

Grease a 9 X 13 inch baking pan. Press half the oat mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Spread the raspberry preserves evenly over the oat mixture. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over the top of the preserves. Bake 18 - 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven, let cool slightly. Run knife around edge to loosen. Cool on a rack before cutting into squares.

2 comments:

  1. will try this! I'm well on my way to never buying granola or granola bars ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these so much I made them 4 weeks in a row ... using less salt and different preserves. Our favorite so far has been peach with added pecans in the batter. YUM!

    ReplyDelete