Risotto is a wonderful creamy dish made from Arborio rice that takes a little time to cook but is worth the effort. I love Risotto and enjoy the focus it demands while preparing, a cooking meditation! This is one found in a cookbook called "1,000 Vegetarian Recipes". After making it a few times over the years, I've learned to have a bit more broth on hand than it calls for.
Rosemary - Mushroom Risotto
2 cups mushroom broth (found at Whole Foods/ Weaver Street) or veggie broth
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped white mushrooms (I used 2 medium portobello mushrooms this time - yummy!)
2 TBS minced shallots (onion is fine if shallots are not available)
1 cup Arborio rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste ( I never use this much!)
1/8 tsp pepper
1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, heat the broth, water, rosemary and thyme until simmering. Keep on low heat so that the broth stays warm throughout the cooking process.
2. While broth is heating, heat oil in a larger saucepan over medium-high heat and saute mushrooms until softened. Add shallots and cook until just browning. Add the rice, stirring until coated with oil.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add the broth to the rice mixture 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Make the next addition of broth only when you can draw a clear path on the bottom of the pot as you scrape through the rice with a wooden spoon. This happens quickly at first, but slows as the cook.
*I taste the rice for doneness, and usually need more broth than the recipe calls for.
4. Add the parsley, salt and pepper when you add the last of the broth.
Extra yummy with Parmesan cheese stirred in!
No comments:
Post a Comment